Last week I brought you a list of 5 Gifts Not to Give the Gardener. It was good to see most readers were in agreement that those gifts weren’t super desirable. I suspect, though, that there will be differing opinions on what constitutes a good gift. But I would be remiss in telling you what not to do without providing an alternative. So here are my nominations for this year’s totally kick-ass garden gifts.
1. Handcrafted Garden Tools These garden tools are a little bit extravagant and totally awesome. Does a gardener really need a set of traditionally blacksmithed steel and black walnut tools? No. But how sweet would it be to own a set, regardless? Sometimes you’ve just got to toss practicality aside and do what seems right – in this case, telling the world that you (or a friend) is a gardening badass. Plus, by purchasing these tools you’re supporting small business and buying American-made! Does it get any better than that?
2. Succulent Ring Holder I don’t know many gardeners who can keep their plant obsession to the out-of-doors. Plants seem to have snuck into every corner of our home, from the dinnerware to the curtains. So give the gardener in your life something they don’t have to find extra space for in their yard, like these stylish but understated succulent ring holders. Set ‘em on the bathroom counter, and never worry about sun, water or fertilizer.
3. Haw’s Watering Can & Mister Continuing in the vein of products that are way more expensive than necessary, I give you this copper and brass plant watering kit. I am obsessed with English watering-can manufacturer Haws, who does nothing but make over-the-top garden accessories. I would justify the purchase of one by reminding yourself that the quality means it will last forever – heck, you can probably even pass it on to your kids. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
4. Hose & Wall Mount Okay, I’ll admit it. This list has turned out to be more of a wish list than a gift list. But can you blame me for coveting all these ridiculously unnecessary, totally drool-worthy garden goods? Maybe some of you have pockets deep enough – or a gardener you love enough – to get these items as gifts. I can own up to the fact that I’d buy this gold hose with black antler mount for myself long before I mustered the altruism to give one away. What can I say? I’m no saint.
5. Goofy Plant Labels In the post on what not to give your gardener friend, I suggested you stay away from all plant labels. I’ve decided to make an exception for these humorous plant markers featuring fake Latin names. Any true gardener will get a good laugh out of names like “Costa Fortunii,” “Peakus Lastweekus,” and “Twigga Mortis.” These trump other markers because they never become obsolete! Sold out in some places, but you can still find them here and here.
It might be that only a few of these ideas are actually gift-able: I got a little overzealous in deciding what kind of gifts I would like to receive, rather than what seemed practical to give. Still, I know most of you will find these items as awesome as I do, whether or not you or anyone you know ever actually owns one. So what do you think? Would you like to receive any of these garden goodies, or do they need to be moved to next year’s “don’t” list?